We’re hiring! Betties360 is looking for a part-time Program Assistant for the remainder of the 2018 – 2019 academic school year (January 2019 – June 2019).
Since 2005, Betties360 has provided under-served girls in the Portland community access to outdoor activities and life-skill training for free. Our mission is to inspire confidence, well-being and community in girls through action sports, outdoor adventure, and life-skill education. Our primary goal is to deliver a cost effective way to provide outdoor experiences and life-skill training to under-represented girls while providing the Portland community with opportunities to share valuable outdoor experiences with girls who do not otherwise have access. Through these actions we hope to empower adolescent girls to be successful and engaged members in their community.
POSITION: Program Assistant / Program Instructor
POSITION TYPE: Part-time, 15 hours / week
WAGE: $16 – $20 per hour, depending on experience
REPORTS TO: Betties360 Board of Directors
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 2, 2018
SUMMARY:The Program Assistant works with the Program Coordinator to deliver curriculum and foster relationships with community partners. They will interact regularly with the Program Coordinator, the board of directors, community partners, and schools.
– Work within the schools to recruit girls to join the program at the start of each term
– Plan weekly class agendas with Program Coordinator based on curriculum provided
– Prepare each programs’ supplies and gear
– Meet regularly with Program Coordinator to review schedules and curriculum development
– Uphold Betties360 Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity standards across the organization.
– Meet monthly with the board of directors to understand current program needs and opportunities for growth.
– Create a comfortable and inclusive learning space for Betties360 participants.
– Teach the Betties360 curriculum and be willing to adapt to different learning situations.
– Work as a liaison between the program and the school.
– Assist in the planning of the Betties360 annual fundraising event.
– Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
– Build upon current curriculum to better represent the experience of Betties360 participants.
– Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the outdoors and adventure sports.
– Experience working with under-represented and low-income youth.
– Experience working with middle-school aged youth (ages 11 – 14).
– Several years of experience working in informal education and/or the non-profit sphere developing programming and curriculum.
– Understanding of how to engage and support stakeholders living in minority, immigrant, and refugee communities.
– Experience teaching in informal environments (museum, after school program, outdoor school, etc).
– Experience working between multiple stakeholders while maintaining mission integrity.
– Enthusiasm for community building and uplifting the voices of young women, people of color, and femme-identifying folk within the Portland community.
– A passion for the mission of Betties360.
– A willingness to try new things and step outside your comfort zone.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED
– Bi-lingual (fluent in Spanish, Vietnamese, or Arabic)
– First Aid and CPR certification
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
We strive to:
– Demonstrate Bettie360’s commitment to equity in all job duties
– Be aware of and be willing to embrace the cultural orientations of our students and families
– Examine and confront our own cultural biases
– Develop and maintain mutually respectful relationships across differences
Submit cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 2, 2018. Cover letter should express your passion for the mission of Betties360 and fit for the Program Assistant position. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Job start date: mid-January 2019.